Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ungrateful



It is so often what holds us back.

stops us dead in our tracks.

or even grips us so tightly around the throat that we cannot even take a single breath.

sometimes.

we see it as an obstacle.

other times it is a mountain to climb.

or worse has no end in sight.

But why?

Why is it that fear...
    of the unknown or known variety can seize us up?

honestly.  isn't  it easy peasy?

I.have. no. idea.

As a Christian... I read my Bible. I even KNOW that I walk through no circumstance alone. ever.
Jesus holds me..
carries me even
when times are too heavy to bear. s
I even know there are 365 reference to 'DO NOT FEAR' in the Bible.
and yet.
somehow.
that doesn't stop us.

and it comes  in all shapes and sizes...
but not one of the feelings of fears is any less important than another.

Isaiah 41:10
Fear you not; for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.

and while I know the TRUTH in that scripture....
I tend to say... "yes Lord, but...."

There are a dozen little things in my life...
money's tight. school with the kids isn't always easy peasy. someone doesn't like me. I feel like I often don't have a direct purpose in ministry. Frank in college at home all the time is hard. blah...blah blah....

right?

I mean. honestly we have it easy.

we are healthy. have some income ( even if it is tight), have a house. hot and cold running water. food in the cupboards... a car to drive...

so why do I become so fearful.. uptight and ungrateful?

The other day as we prayed before dinner.... and then as the kids began to complain about the dinner... I said ..." wow! really? you Thank God for the food one minute and almost in the very next breath complain about what He has provided!"

Simple.

Yet it strikes me.

That all too often I do the very same thing.

God gives us an opportunity... we are gripped with fear so we do not act.

God provides the house.... and we always want more.

God makes the gas in the car go as far as it needed to and yet we always want to travel somewhere other than here.

How very ungrateful fear makes me.


No comments: