Wednesday, May 19, 2010

the dangers of social networking

yesterday evening I updated my status on facebook... it read...

why, when people die, do we automatically assume they went to heaven?


well I sparked a debate. an unitended debate. apparently one of my "friends" had posted about someone she knew dying and automatically assumed I had seen her post.

I had not.

and when going to check what she said I found she had unfriended me...

and when I went to write her a message....

I found out she had completely blocked any inbound emails from me....

it was NOT a personal attack on whatever her status said, I hadnt even read her status... I had simply updated mine from the application on my phone... which hadn't shown me the update on her status... which I have officially never seen.

what bothers me is that ONE single comment can end a friendship.

are we so shallow that we end friendships based on status updates. I find that utterly incredible.

now I understand my status update had to be pretty close in succession to hers on facebook to have her take it so very personal - but what kind of friend doesnt even ask you to work it out???

and if this friend is "outa here" over a facebook post I wonder how many other faux friends I have out of the 200+ friends.... most all of which I have know in real life.... so I have decided to cool it for a week and take a break from facebook cuz it so isn't worth this kind of stress.

and as much as I love that facebook keeps me connected with friends, I despise that it divides people just as quickly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard a radio pastor talk about death. The piece was about attending a funeral and what people say over the casket. A usual comment is "They look so peaceful." His response, maybe, they may be at peace in heaven or in torture in hell. No one knows how where that person's heart was before passing but God. So your right, we can't assume anyone goes to heaven. Sorry you lost a friend over this subject.
Katie Vargas